To see a map of the locations of the historical plaque, please click here
The Albany Historical
Society has donated 8 plaques to the City of Albany denoting historical places in Albany
Site of Albany’s First Official Public Building
Located on Solano Avenue,
east of Cornell Avenue, this plaque commemorates the first official public building. In 1908 construction of the Albany School
began on Main Street, now Solano Avenue. The building was demolished during 1946 – 1947 to make way for the current
Cornell School buildings.
#2 Site of Albany’s First Firehouse
Located on Cornell Avenue, south of Solano Avenue, this plaque commemorates Albany’s first firehouse
which was constructed to protect the new city from fire. The fire house remained at that location until
1915 when a new station was built at the south east corner of San Pablo and Washington Avenues.
Site of First City Hall
Albany’s first City Hall was located at
1045 Solano Avenue, between San Pablo Avenue and Adams Street. Built in 1915, this building was used for
city government offices, including the police department, meeting space, and the city library.
Site of Miller’s Barn
Barn, owned by Chris Miller, was the first school in Ocean View. Located near the northeast corner of San Pablo and Brighton
Avenues, the barn was also the site of the town’s first civic meetings. Mr. Miller, one of three school trustees and
the town’s first Marshall, refurbished his barn by adding windows and a floor so it could be used as a school,
as well as a general meeting place and a dancehall.
#5 Site of Charles MacGregor’s Office
The office of Charles MacGregor was located near the north west corner of Solano and Carmel. Mr.
MacGregor built approximately 1,500 homes in Albany, mostly in the 1920's and 1930’s. These homes—many featuring
a Mediterranean style—originally sold for under $5,000 and can still be seen around town, giving Albany its own distinctive
look. MacGregor loved the city of Albany and its children, hosting a free theater party each year for schoolchildren.
#6 Site of Albany Hospital. Dedicated on March 25, 1928
as Humboldt Hospital, the Albany Hospital served countless patients until its closure in 1985. The hospital
provided a surgical department, as well as emergency and obstetrical care and general medical services. Originally privately
owned, Albany Hospital later became part of Alta Bates. Albany is grateful to the doctors,
nurses, staff, and volunteers who provided medical care to the community for so many years. The hospital was located at the
site of the current Albany Community Center and Library.
#7 Site of the Garbage Wars On April 1, 1908, armed Ocean View residents
gathered near this area on Buchanan Street and San Pablo Avenue to protest Berkeley's dumping of garbage in Ocean View. Garbage
dumps were unpopular due to a regional plague scare. The residents (mostly women) turned away Berkeley's garbage wagons until
the sheriff arrived and ordered them to stop. The conflict caused the City of Ocean View (later renamed Albany) to incorporate
in the fall of 1908 and outlaw outside garbage dumping.
#8 Veterans' Memorial Building
The Veterans’ Memorial Building located
in Albany’s Memorial Park is one of ten such structures build by Alameda County as a tribute to the veterans of World
Designed by Henry H. Meyers and dedicated on August 14, 1932, the building has
been home to American Legion Post #292 and Boy Scout troops since the early days. Many generations of residents have
eaten, celebrated, and danced in the magnificent building.
We are always interested in your ideas for additional plaques.
Please let us know your suggestions on the "contact us" page.